Separation: Parenting Plans and Orders

A couple have separated if their relationship is over and they no longer continue to share a married or de facto life.

Following a separation and when there are children involved, careful consideration needs to be given to preparing a parenting plan or application. A parenting plan is a voluntary written agreement that sets out the day to day and long-term responsibilities of each parent towards their children. If the parents are unable to reach agreement on some or all responsibilities then an application in Court may be necessary.

We can Help

At One Law we understand that this is a very difficult time in your life. Our priority is to resolve your matter as quickly as possible with the least cost and fuss to you.

The steps below explain how we can help you.

We make it simple

Our family law team is here to help. We would love to hear from you. You can get in touch with one of our family law lawyers by completing the online enquiry form below or by calling us on free call 1800 ONE LAW (663 529).


Meet with us

We will spend time listening and understanding what is important to you regarding the ongoing care and support of your children. We will explain the purpose and benefits of a parenting plan and what agreements the plan should detail including: 123


Put the plan in writing and lets talk

After we meet, we will put together the plan in writing detailing all the considerations and agreements you would like to have. It’s now time to show this plan to your ex-spouse for their consideration and input.


Negotiate the final terms

Generally within a short space of time we should be able to come to an agreement that suits both parents but more importantly is in the best interests of the children.


Apply to the court for consent orders

We can then apply to the court to formalise the agreement by way of consent orders. We will draft these orders and file them with the Court.


Apply to the court for final orders

There are times unfortunately when an agreement cannot be reached. It's then necessary to make an application for final orders in Court.

Do you need to speak to a lawyer?

Call us on our free advice line or leave your details and we'll call you back.


1800 663 529