Separation: Property and Financial Arrangements

A couple have separated if their relationship is over and they no longer continue to share a married or de facto life.

Following a separation, careful consideration needs to be given to preparing a binding financial agreement to determine the division of the assets and debts between the parties. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement then an application in court may be necessary.

We can Help

At One Law we understand that this is a very difficult time in your life. Our priority is to resolve your matter as quickly as possible with the least cost and fuss to you.

The steps below explain how we can help you.

We make it simple

Our family law team is here to help. We would love to hear from you. You can get in touch with one of our family law lawyers by completing the online enquiry form below or by calling us on free call 1800 ONE LAW (663 529).


Meet with us

We will spend time listening and understanding what is important to you regarding the assets and debts owned and created by the parties. We will explain the purpose and benefits of a binding financial agreement and what the agreement should include, for example, who will take ownership of the home and/or other properties, debt/s owed, vehicle/s, and the family pet/s.


Put the agreement in writing and let's talk

After we meet, we will put together the agreement in writing detailing all the considerations and agreements you would like to have. It’s now time to show this plan to your ex-spouse for their consideration and input.


Negotiate the final terms

Generally within a short space of time we should be able to come to an agreement that suits both parties.


Apply to the court for consent orders

We can then apply to the court to formalise the agreement by way of consent orders. We will draft these orders and file them with the court.


Apply to the court for final orders

There are times unfortunately when an agreement cannot be reached. It's then necessary to make an application for final orders in court.

Do you need to speak to a lawyer?

Call us on our free advice line or leave your details and we'll call you back.


1800 663 529